Monday 22 July 2024

A Day's Chubbing on The Warks Avon (In Pictures)

 Last week saw me and the wife visit the Warwickshire Avon on a cloudy summer's day, perfect for trotting so I went straight on the pellet. 

After a few decent roach and dace I'm into a decent chub

Not huge but welcome, a scarred fish that naturally I got photographed on it's good side

It was hard work so after lunch re-positioned slightly and switched to a finer hooklength, the results were instant, however this meant careful playing so as not to bring the nearside reeds into play early, whilst at the same time battling the underwater weed mid river, this meant a high rod early doors and a lower one when they came closer.

The second chub on lighter line was a lot of fun

The next chub was bigger, It went under a swan which followed me in

Side strain was needed when they got sight of those tasty reeds


By now I was just unhooking them in the water

The 8th chub was a familiar sight being the same battled scarred fish I caught earlier, I'd lost only one fish all day and had a nice catch of around 30lb of chub, roach and dace. 

Whilst wading as deep as I could, staring down by my feet I could spot roach, dace, perch, minnow, small chub, big gudgeon and even rudd as the water was so clear. The river felt alive with fish and I felt alive fishing it.


Just one last trot through