Friday 27 January 2023

A Cracking Grayling Trip

 I usually go on a grayling expedition when the days are longer but with the recent frosts I couldn't resist it, naturally it's sods law that there's no frost for the fist time in weeks as I started up the car, but I'll take that although almost two hours later I was setting up in unforecast drizzle, however the river screamed "FISH ME" it was pushing through but not too high, clear but with a touch of colour. I wished the rivers near me flowed like this, it looked perfect.

I set up in a spot I hadn't fished before, using the usual 4 no 4 stick, this one actually taking those shot and not the renegade float from a few trips back that took double that, probably far too light but that's how I roll, and grayling try to roll too, I just find the way I fish I lose less with a lighter float, mind you I got to hook one first and you never know. Grayling are pretty reliable though and It didn't take long as the second or third run through the float dipped at the bottom of the swim and it was clear what was on, twisting turning in the clear water I kept it off the surface and slid the net under the perfect start to the day. I always take a photo of the first grayling and they are usually small, this one was pretty decent though and getting on for a pound.

A great start and five minutes later a similar result, that familiar flash in the water although this time I just watched the rod bend with that unmistakable thud, I could see and feel this was a better fish. I slid the net under a long heavy fish at around 2lb easily the best fish I've had from this stretch, just to think I would have been happy with a few small ones. Just check out that dorsal - Beautiful.

I then lost what felt like a rather large trout snagging me up in the nearside rushes after I had it on for a while, a good fish that I didn't even get a glimpse of. On retrieving my set up I realized I could have gone further onto the rushes upstream to get more leverage but It wont be the last time a fish nearsides me, the worst kind of snag but not worth falling in for.

As I was setting up again I poured a coffee and watched a kingfisher fly by and land in the tree upstream, all dark and wet looking and a stark contrast to the sunlit blue of the one I saw on my local river last time. Unlike myself earlier it was in full concentration with it's head down fully focused on what lies below, whilst my head was turned I heard the unmistakable plop only to look up and see the blue flash as it dashed through the trees on it's way further upstream. I then took out my lunch and reflected on the morning, there was no place I'd rather be right then than here, it's amazing how fishing can make a nobody feel like the king of the world.

Downstream I went following too many runs through without a bite after restarting, perhaps I stayed too long there but it did produce a better stamp of fish than normal so was worth the effort, I was keen to add to my tally of just 7 fish, trying spots here and there and getting a grayling or small trout in each of them finally getting through to a few of the smaller fish with their big eyes and even larger appetites.


Once again there were some more good grayling where, in one spot I was perched precariously on a load of branches getting one a chuck in a swim which was like a whirlpool, my float hardly visible until it was ripped a good foot under the boils, however it was very visible when it pinged off a small trout onto a nearside alder. I took a bit of a gamble getting it back (so much for not risking falling in) but did so without going through the mix of water and wood was bearing my weight, my metal landing net handle coming in more than handy as a wading staff. I set up once more and decided that balancing on the mud and branches fishing this spot was more trouble than it was worth, no doubt a reason it was little fished, I also concluded I'm getting old as I ventured somewhere more comfortable for the last hour.

I encountered a couple of other anglers and had a bit of friendly chat and also a walker who saw me earlier in the day who told me where a large dace was caught, we chatted as I caught a couple of half pound trout that teased me all dace like, but they weren't my quarry today so on I went to finish up near the car, hopefully for another grayling or two to finish off.

By now the kids were coming out of school all lairy and I could hear "He's caught a fish" Naturally I couldn't unhook this one quick enough and slip it back. The next fish was played gently under the surface as it was getting a bit too busy down there, a weird feeling keeping a fish out of sight but it's something I do when I don't want a crowd, not good ploy really as it came off but I wasn't too bothered, I was tempted to count it for a laugh it but didn't of course, and that was how the day ended. I packed up with enough daylight to get most the way home with a decent tally of 27 grayling and 5 trout, only losing a couple including my last ditch escapee, I'm not sure that version of catch and release will catch on mind.

I may not return this season but that would be ok as this grayling fix will last a while.