Sunday 3 July 2022

Last Minute Improvisation Tricks A 2lb Roach

I had all but packed up, my makeshift float removed and my mat was drying on the fence behind me, it had been a good day, the roach were on the pellet today and I had 31 alternating between stick float and matchstick as the water was so low and clear, all netters but nothing over a pound. Stretching my legs after sitting on the floor close to the water's edge all day I had a sip of water, picked up some of what was left of my pellets and fed the swim one last time, standing right at the edge like Captain Skyline* peering in just to see what was down there, just to observe. Then she came into view and took one right under my nose. Typical I thought.

*Captain Skyline is of course the worlds worst superhero but how that big roach was readily feeding in front of me in full view shows how much it must have been picking at my feed all day.

I had seen this roach fleetingly drift in and out of the swim amongst it's smaller (but by no means small) kith and kin and could I get it to take? Not a chance as it was quick to reject anything I had to offer, so now she was there doing the usual big roach thing of taking one pellet on the drop knowing full well I wasn't fishing. I fed another pinch of feed and it took another pellet. Even though I had been trying for this fish all day I couldn't resist a little longer could I? 

I could muster another ten minutes fishing that's for sure.

After a couple of attempts I finally caught the end of my line which had been flapping about and tied a size 20 hook on, with no shot and no float I tried to flick out my banded pellet into what was a troublesome wind for such fine tackle, even my matchstick was ditched for this one last hurrah. Naturally the first attempt saw my freelined offering land closer to me than the target fish, when it did land in the right area nothing happened, this roach would only come up if there was multiple offerings to choose from and had no doubt clocked me trying to hide by some rushes as I didn't have my camo hat on.*

*Camo hats make you invisible, everyone knows that.

Now it is hard to catch a fish feeding a few inches from the surface that will only take one pellet at a time and only when it's accompanied closely by others, so there was a few nervy moments as I timed my feed to hit the water at the same time as my freelined bait. I couldn't tell if my pellet was being taken so several thin air strikes got the pulse racing and ten minutes soon turned into twenty. 

I then had the idea of trying a red pellet on the hook and I could instantly see the difference as I watched the little red dot drop down through the gin clear water, why didn't I think of this sooner I thought as next cast the roach seemed to head for it high in the water before turning away. I could see the red of it's eyes and it's scales seemed to sparkle in the sun at this moment, anticipation was now at an all time high even if I have had this scenario before and knew full well the roach was still favourite to elude me.

A bit of cloud cover came over and the next plop in saw that familiar shape drift up so effortlessly towards my bait once more, it must have been around ten inches from the surface. It's lips seemed to pinch at my pellet so I struck. I'm not sure if I said it out loud or in my head but the phrases "Got it" and "It's on" instinctively filled my mind as it spun on the top instantly, it was a magical moment. The roach was on although it was just sitting there on the surface seemingly doing nothing, they do this sometimes and I knew my size 20 to 2lb line would be no match for a big roach's turn of speed, I expected a run and it didn't disappoint, twice, I just let it go before bringing it back each time and over the net. Get in!

The roach went 2lb 3oz and I had a feeling I have been acquainted with this fish before and sure enough after checking the photos at home it was the same fish I had late last February on maggot which is this blog post for March - 2lb Roach Caps Redfin Red Letter Day

I have a feeling that there are less big fish than we think in some waters and they are often repeat captures, this one was caught in a different area from the last time round an ounce lighter. I walked most the stretch today with the old polaroids on and this was the only big roach I saw all day in the clear water. I think I need to look back at some old photos as I'm sure repeats are there with other roach. To get this fish twice in the calendar year is pretty special.

Hey it's only just turned July, so three times in year would be pushing it right? Seriously though I could well go three years before the next big roach, perhaps longer, some folk go a whole lifetime. I won't be taking this fish for granted, so here's to the ol' Red Eye and lets not forget that red pellet.


Edit - These were some of the roach that, before the 'two' came along were the highlight of the day, all pristine netters with the smallest around 8oz, once again the pellet provided the sort of fishing hemp does, I could have easily doubled the 31 that I had, were it not for quite a few coming off,  a few barbel turning up and constant changing between matchstick,float and freelining, trying to trick that wily old one.




A fantastic day.