Monday 20 June 2022

An Eventful Morning On The River

 As I slipped the net under the first good chub of the river season I wasn't expecting to make such a schoolboy error - CRACK! Suddenly my net handle was hinged half way down the last section, fibreglass all split, I had only tried to lift out the fish from too far down the handle, what an idiot I thought, as I finally gripped the spreader like I should have. Today could be interesting I concluded and it was.

Before that I had got up early after having little or no sleep, it was the last hot night with night time temps still in the 20's and heaven knows how hot the bedroom was, however first light ripped through the open window as if to say...Go fishing Rob, go get a decent swim handsome dude* and so it was I got down the river around 6am, even if the usual spots were taken on this first Saturday I was still happy to get a good spot, so it was mission accomplished in that respect. 

*Ok I added the handsome dude bit, writer's privilege 😀

I plopped my gear down by a deep glide and set up the usual stick float to trot pellet although this time on 6lb line as I didn't want to lose the first good chub or barbel, I gave a quick try just above in the shallows to see what's there first and for half an hour as it was all chub, mostly around the 10oz mark but I had already caught more than the struggle of the 16th.

Then came my handle splitting moment, I had to take a quick photo of the 'net buster' it's a nice fish but hardly a monster.

I worked out with the next fish that as long as I didn't extend fully I was able to use the net without any risk of it snapping, which was just as well as the first barbel of the season came soon after. Like all the chub it was long and lean and will benefit from the feed it will get from us anglers. Small but perfect the first barbel of a season is always special.


With the shallows now dead I went back to the deeper spot for the day, sitting low to the waters edge as per usual. Here I went back to 4lb line as I just don't enjoy trotting 6lb line for chub, it also gives me more chance of roach and as the first roach came first cast it felt like the right decision all round. It wasn't long before a few more chub showed with their quick bites and every fish was hooked perfect in the top lip.  Another barbel got in on the act and if the first was small and perfect this one took it to another level.


More chub followed along with another pocket sized barbel showing good recruitment from a few years back, I hope this year will be as good although by now with the sun up higher it was clear how low the river was and how more rain is needed already. I had little time to contemplate these worries as a slightly better barbel went hard and I was conscious of my dodgy handle, sitting low to the water's edge really helped as did my new technique of netting the fish negating any further snap mishap.


The only snapping that happened was a quick shot of the fish then one of the hook I removed along with my own, both my line and my size 18 dwarfed by whose ever gear this barbel previously beat. It's worth noting that a pinched down barb is still a barb and didn't come out freely, I squeezed the barb further before taking this photo to avoid any mishap with some else's hook on a day when I had form for breaking stuff.


It soon got cloudy and started to rain but after the last two days (and nights) of unbearable heat I was happy to just sit in this fresh precipitation in my t-shirt, there wasn't enough rain to raise the water levels just enough to cool everything down nicely including myself.

Then a magpie came drifting down the river, it was a strange sight seeing it gulping for air. I thought about netting it as it struggled but realized my handle would snap if fully extended. Maybe if it was a kingfisher or robin I would have tried, but I left it thinking the shallows at the end of the swim would see it find the safety of a gravel beach. Within two more metres it was motionless, it was dead, even though it was a magpie I though about that nursery rhyme and this one was definitely 'One for sorrow'

As I bid Mr Magpie farewell - that's nature for you, and continued to fish more long lean chub followed although I was trying hard for a good roach to complete the day, that I only had two redfins in total showed they either weren't there or the tried and trusted wasn't working today, it was for the chub though as I ended with 34, along with 9 barbel it was a fine day or should I say morning as I packed up soon after midday, with one last perfect looking chub.


Nothing huge was caught but I cared not, for it was good to get a day like this under your belt early season. I will need to dig out my old metal net handle for the next trip wherever that may be as I know I won't break that with bout of dopeyness. Also with the water low I am hoping for more rain already which isn't a good sign in mid June so here's hoping for a wet July, so that the rivers as well as the fish can fill out a little.