Thursday 16 September 2021

Changing Tactics For Barbel Save The Day

 I got stuck behind everything on the way to fishing today, or so it seemed, bicycles, bin lorries, horses, eventually I was just one link in a snake of cars winding it's way through the Hertfordshire countryside. Whilst it looked like being 'one of those days' it was a fine morning to be doing 20mph down country lanes, now behind a tractor as we all meandered along like a slow river in the hazy low sun.

I decided on a stretch of river I hadn't fished all season and hoped to get a mix of fish on maggot with pellet and hemp as back up should I struggle, setting up in a swim that looked perfect but was far from it. Struggle I did, not for bites for I had plenty but for anything that wasn't a tiny chub, minnow or small roach. One lone dace was the only fish I had that wasn't the size of my thumb, mind you it was a cracker.


I gave it an hour that before deciding maggot wasn't going to work in the clear water with all the small fry about. I tried hemp then pellet only to get a succession of gudgeon, even on 6mm pellet, these gudgeon were good ones but I also knew there could be loads of them to get through, suffice to say this was my cue to wander downstream and try somewhere else.

It was clear I had the whole stretch to myself as in every spot where I looked for fish I seemed to scare something or other, leaping into flight whilst making an almighty racket they don't half make you jump. However it says a lot about the dangers on the British countryside when the scariest creatures you encounter are those startled pheasants.

I finally spotted some fish in a shallow, snaggy spot under some trees, here a handful of barbel could be seen, they seemed spooked by the bright conditions but quick feed of pellets bought them into play, however it was so clear and the gravel was illuminated by the sun, I could almost see every stone and I didn't fancy my chances as the fish ghosted through casting a shadow as they went back to waters dark.

I decided to change to a static bait, put on some 6lb line and a small weight that was just enough to hold bottom, with a banded pellet as any hair rigs I had on my spools are probably deemed as vintage by now as they have been there so long unused, I rarely fish the lead but I felt this was my best chance here and with it now quite warm I could sit under the tree and relax for a bit as it had been a hard morning. I balanced the rod perfectly on the rushes using nature's rod rest and started to think about lunch.


A few small clouds came over so I waited a little. Then suddenly I had the 'three foot twitch' as the rod was getting yanked around, I leapt into action and was grateful the barbel headed downstream and not into the mother of all sunken trees in front of me. After a spirited battle a sprightly barbel was in the landing net. This legering lark could catch on I reckon.


After resting the fish I left the rod propped up against the bushes and had my lunch in the sun, around a dozen long tailed tits fluttered through the tree opposite in their own unique style and I could hear another pheasant cackling away in the distance as I tucked into my sarnies. At times the road in the distance went quiet and all I could hear was birdsong and the gentle rustle of the rushes in breeze. It's amazing how one good fish can make the day when you are struggling, suddenly everything was perfect. 

I carried on with the lead after lunch although now I remember why I do it so rarely as I was already getting fidgety. I carefully peered into the shallows over the rushes with the polaroids on try to see what was going on down there. I watched for a while motionless like a heron seeing only chublets and the odd roach before another lone barbel finally came into view, however it seemed to be the only one left and wasn't feeding. Nonetheless I was pleased with my heron like stealth and patience.

Up and down it went, still on it's own, I couldn't resist carefully throwing some feed down in front of it and it took two pellets on the drop, it's mouth puffing out twice and sucking away, it was clearly feeding. I fully expected it to get it's nose down on the deck for the rest of the feed but it didn't, with the next handful of feed going in the same thing happened again. I had only one thought - Float.

Off came the lead and on went the float, sliding the float rubbers over the hook was the hardest part but it must have taken less than a minute to completely change set up, keeping the same hook I was ready to go. Often barbel get cagey this time of year and do prefer to take on the drop and this was a prime example, but I was well aware the float could still spook this fish especially if I get a liner. First cast out and the barbel seemed to make a beeline for the noise of the float hitting the water  but didn't take the bait, however this action despite the sun being out made me really confident.

Next cast, a handful of pellets with the float cast right in the middle, timed to fall as one, with a banded pellet on the hook that was slightly larger than the feed, perfect, bang! The float has shot under a good foot whilst at the same time the barbel can be seen twisting, turning and heading upstream. In the clear water I could see everything but I had more control with the float, it's still chaos though in such a narrow swim and I was glad the tree didn't come into play again.


As there was only around four barbel originally in the swim catching two was a right result especially with the weather offering only occasional cloud cover, getting one in the seemingly low afternoon sun was a delight as was my first fish in ages on the lead. Changing tactics really worked and sure beat trying to get through the small stuff that were hammering the maggot.

I packed up soon after as the swim was now completely empty of anything other than those chublets and a few gudgeon, no doubt mopping up those pellets, I didn't fancy another move and it was a good way to end. As I walked back I remembered I hadn't seen anyone all day, I had the river to myself as a heron took to the air in front of me, I doubt if it was impressed with my heron stealth mode but it made a change from all the clucking pheasants.

Now you try saying that whilst eating a sandwich.