Wednesday 23 June 2021

River Thames Marlow

 It had been a while since last visiting this stretch of the Thames so to be greeted with bankside improvements such as purpose built platforms and designated fishing areas was a pleasant surprise, so before I tell you about the fishing it's worth crediting the work done by Little Marlow Country Park and the EA in improving this stretch, also the place was spotless so well done to all involved.

One arrival the river was a nice colour but when walking downstream I was unable to keep up with the current, when the Thames is doing this in summer it's safe to say it's pushing through a little. It looked too fast by the first few swims and actually looked too fast where I set up on the deep band but I had to run a float through somewhere.

I set up a 7no4 stick which I knew full well took a bit more shot like most floats do, but this one took the biscuit as it was more like 10no4 but it would do. I started at around 8ft deep edging deeper each time before I finally got my first bite fishing close in under the rod tip but well downstream, I must have been around 9ft deep and bites were similar to hitting bottom but the first dace was more than welcome.

It was hard to gauge where my loosefeed was getting down to in the deep boily water which also surged every now and then, bites seemed to coincide with the surface being flat and the flow going steady which wasn't often as a series of boats went by. As each one chugged through we exchanged waves keeping it friendly, just to let them know their course was good as it is a corner that can get cut quite badly, on several occasions they slowed down for me although they didn't have to which was nice of them and it was all ever so relaxed, even this canal barge overtake was in slow motion.

Trotting through the chop was pretty futile as I couldn't get bites then but when It calmed a small window of opportunity arose. After a couple of dace something better was on and I thought it was a good roach until a small chub surfaced, even these half pound fish pull well and they felt twice the size bringing them up through the deep water, which was putting a decent bend in the rod.

It was a good morning, hard but rewarding getting 4 dace and 4 half pound chub all of which were in great condition, I hoped for the odd roach but they didn't show and although it's usually good for perch there I didn't expect any in that current today given there was a massive slack across the other side, only one rogue bleak showed but I'll take that given there could be thousands of the blighters.

Then the bites just stopped maybe due to a combination of a dog going in downstream where it shallowed and the sun coming out, also more boats came though including the only one who didn't wave in his huge white plastic battleship, looking down on all he surveyed. Give me a genteel canal barge chugging through any day. I stopped for lunch looking at the poor houses opposite wondering how these people cope.

After lunch I needed a wander so I explored back upstream, on one occasion looking through a gap between two alders I stopped and watched several swallows skimming the surface in a wonderful close up display, whilst a tatty looking red kite soared overhead observing all below, it was a time to stand and stare as the traffic rushed over the flyover and people walked behind me, oblivious to this show which seemed to be all mine, enjoy it I did before a dog took a shine to me despite being encouraged back by the two young ladies who were walking it, they were ever so easy on the eye It has to be said, at times like these I do wish I was younger again, mind you I would also need to be better looking and not covered in turmeric.

Despite all the sights it soon dawned on me I should have really stayed put as it was ever so windy further up and the current was not yielding any bites only turbulence, a couple of carpers were in the lock cut so I left them to it, one on a little boat no doubt inspired by Terry Hearn's excellent Eleven Years Afloat video the other bivvied up out of the wind. In another spot my float pinged off the latest snag into an almighty tangle so it was time to call it a day and keep the powder dry in the hope I can pop out the next day.

I only caught the 8 fish and it was hard going but feel I could have had more which isn't a bad feeling to have in a strange way, I could have fished a tad better, however on the flipside it's not impossible to blank when the Thames is a bit stroppy so a few fish are better than none, it was also fun and the surroundings were pleasant, it was, all in all a nice morning on Father Thames.